Sunday, February 8, 2009

A New Beginning

Hi Hotshots! This idea has been churning in my mind for a while: Wouldn't it be great to have a forum where current and former Lolo Hotshot members could connect again? I ran into Dewey yesterday (if you don't know Dewey, you were never a Lolo Hotshot). We threw around a few ideas and I said I'd give it a go.

So here it is, a blogsite dedicated to bringing old and new friends together! If you're like me, once a Hotshot, always a Hotshot! If you've served on the crew, you're a member of an elite group of folks.

My ultimate goal is to generate enough interest to put together another Hotshot reunion. We're not getting any younger, so sooner would be better than later!

I also thought that we should have a method for reconnecting with old friends and make new friends. The only requirement is that you either currently serve, or have served as a member of the Lolo Hotshots.

I'm just getting this thing off the ground, so indulge me with some patience. I hope to add a options for discussion, stories, picture posts and contact info.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how this site grows. Hit it, Hotshots!

Bill S - Lolo Hotshots - 1982-85

Jump in. Let's have some fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on the Ninemile hot shot crew (just outside of Missoula at the old remount station) in the 60's. Is there any history of this crew on the web that anyone knows of? Thanks

Montana1 said...

Harold, I worked at the Ninemile for three seasons. It was a great place to work! I know some of the folks that worked out there are still around Missoula. Check out this website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lolo/fire/hotshots/index-history.shtml . It doesn't quite go back to the 60s, but some of early 70s crew might have been there. Stay in touch! Sorry it took so long. I hadn't yet set up the email link.

Cliff Barnett said...

I worked at Ninemile in 1984 and it was great. They had a dog named Bingo and was nicknamed Bingo the Lion Dog after his encounter with a mountain lion couples of years previous. Some of the guys I worked with were Gary Stitzinger, Dan Baker, Ben Butler, Bob Arndt, Dennis McCorkle, Ron Bennett to name a few. We all went on to smokejump in Missoula in 1965. Very upset with the deaths of the Hotshots in Arizona.

Montana1 said...

I'm very upset as well. If you're on Facebook, feel free to join the Lolo Hotshots group. I manage it and I'm happy to let any legit (new or old) firefighter join.

Unknown said...

My dad was a lolo hotshot in the early 70's out if St. Regis. I was wondering if their is a place to get some more info about them and if their is plans for a 60th

Anonymous said...

Hi.I haven't heard anything about a 60th. You might call the Lolo National Forest Office in Missoula. Thanks.